About You: marketplace guide
About this guide
This is a ChannelEngine guide on the Hamburg-based marketplace About You. Here you can find information on how to request an About You account, how to configure this channel on ChannelEngine, what the specific requirements are, and more.
Table of contents
|Founder||Hannes Wiese, Sebastian Betz, Tarek Muller|
|Area served (orders)||Austria, Belgium, Germany, Netherlands, France|
|Revenue||EUR 1.73 billion|
|Number of monthly visits||> 45 million|
within 30 days after issuing of self-billing invoices
|Product categories||fashion, shoes, and accessories|
|Input language||German, English|
|Minimum number of SKUs||no|
|Profile on ChannelEngine
To start selling on About You, contact your customer success manager at ChannelEngine.
To be determined.
|Product content||Product status import|
|Returns (channel)||External fulfillment|
* ChannelEngine does not actively import orders from About You. Instead, About You pushes orders in real time to ChannelEngine. This means that there is no import task, and no option to retrieve old orders.
** About You expects merchants not to cancel orders. If the item is in stock, the order should be fulfilled.
*** About You requires product variations, so make sure that your products are set up accordingly before adding this channel.
Settings and configuration
Setting up each channel on ChannelEngine follows the same flow, once you add the channel:
- Go through the Setup
- Create a Product selection
- Complete the Categorization
- Set up the Mappings: content, offers, and carriers
- Configure the Pricing: rules and currency conversion
- Finish the Activation
- Check the Listed products overview
On About You
To establish the connection with About You, the following credentials are required. All are provided by ChannelEngine:
- API access token
- Merchant API key
- Order authentication user
- Order authentication password
To connect About You on ChannelEngine:
- Navigate to your About You channel and click the Setup tab.
In the Settings section, enter values for the following fields:
- API access token - provided by ChannelEngine.
- Merchant API key - provided by About You
Countries - the countries in which you want to sell. Depending on the countries you are selling in, the order lines have a different identifier. E.g.:
- About You [DE] - for orders in German, from Germany.
- About You [AT] - for orders from Austria.
- About You [NL] - for orders from the Netherlands.
- About You [BN] - for orders in Dutch, from Belgium.
- About You [BF] - for orders in French, from Belgium.
- About You [FR] - for orders from France.
- About You [DN] - for orders in English, from Germany.
The following settings can be found in the Advanced settings section:
- Set order to closed after import - if enabled, imported orders are automatically set to Closed – and inventory reservation is not updated. Shipments and returns are not imported and processed.
- Automatically reject out-of-stock items - by default, this is set to automatically cancel orders when the product is not available. You need explicit approval from About You to change this setting.
Before you add a listing, make sure to have your brand and assortment approved by About You. To indicate if a product has been approved or not, it may be helpful to add an extra data field named Pre-approved, for instance, and populate it with either yes or no values.
About You supports a wide range of categories, which are listed in German.
You must provide the Product name and Product material in German. Other attributes, such as the Color or Description, can be provided in English if German content is not available. About You maps these values to country-specific languages.
About You also maps the target audience to men or women, therefore you must always include the gender for your categories and products. E.g.:
- Correct - ‘Frauen - Kleid’.
- Incorrect - ‘Frauen - Accessoires’ (not detailed enough), ‘Accessoires - Gürtel’ (gender missing).
About You requires a grandparent-parent-child relationship:
- Product-master (grandparent) - one specific article style. E.g.: Adidas Originals Stan Smith Sneaker. Note that each product-master must have at least one product, and each product must have at least one variant.
- Product (parent) - the product’s color variants. E.g.: red, blue, yellow, etc.
- Variant (child) - the product's sizes. E.g.: 37, 38, 39.
At least two weeks before the first product feed export, merchants must provide About You with the complete partner setup file – containing relevant information for About You to set up the merchant.
Below you can find the list of attributes required per relationship level:
Quantity per pack
Contains animal parts
Main image URL
Main image URL
Country of origin
All products (required)
- Brand - the product’s brand, without any other details.
- Country of origin - the country where the item was produced. Make sure to use the country code according to the ISO 3166 standard. E.g.: NL for Netherlands. If you sell products in countries other than Germany, this attribute is required.
- EAN - a product variant’s 13-digit unique identification number, be it the EAN or the GTIN. If you use UPC codes, add a zero (0) to it.
- Fulfillment override - set whether the product’s fulfillment is done by About You (FbAY) or by the merchant.
- HS code - the customs tariff number. This code is required when you sell products in countries other than Germany.
Image URL 1 - the URL of the main product image. The following requirements apply:
- Number of images - About You recommends 1 bust picture, 2-4 model pictures, and 1-2 detail pictures.
- photographed frontally
- transparent or white background
- shot on mannequin/ bust and exempted
- light gray background (alternatively, white or transparent)
- 3:4 format at 1,500x2,000 px and 96 dpi
- no cut-off of textile
- product in the front, with no extreme cut of the model
- JPEG for images with a white or gray background and a maximum file size of 2 MB
- PNG for images with a transparent background and a maximum file size of 4 MB
- Background - strong color variations are not allowed
- Name - the name of the product type, written in German. The name must be as specific as possible and cannot include details. E.g.: Lederrock and Blusenkleid are correct, but Calvin Klein Mantel schwarz XS is incorrect. If the product has a specific name, provide the specific name in single quotes (e.g. Sneaker ‘Stan Smith’).
- Quantity per pack - the quantity of items included in each package.
- Vendor size - this value must match the primary size dimension on the item’s physical size label, and cannot be remapped to a different value.
- Weight - the weight of the product, in grams.
Material composition attributes - add at least one attribute related to the material composition of the product, on the parent level. A product’s full material composition must be provided as it is stated on the physical product label.
About You provides a fixed list of material composition attributes that you can select from. If the material that you want to add is not on this list, please contact About You to verify whether they can add your material.
The material attribute must contain the name of the material, and the fraction attribute must contain the percentage of the used material. A fraction attribute value is required for textile products and optional for non-textile products.
You must provide the materials in ascending order; the largest fraction first. The maximum per group is 9 materials. For example:
Attribute name Attribute value Obermaterial material 1 Schurwolle Obermaterial fraction 1 80 Obermaterial material 2 Kaschmir Obermaterial fraction 2 20
All products (recommended)
- Bullet points - keywords used to describe the product that are not obvious in the product images, but can influence the customer decision to buy the product. E.g.: Wasserfestigkeit GORE-TEX®, Zierschnallen am Schaft, Absatzhöhe: 2.5 cm.
- Description - information about the product that is not obvious in the product images, but can influence the customer decision to buy the product. E.g.: washing instructions, size/fit information, sport technologies, sport functions, sustainability information, etc.
- Image background color - while only the Main image URL is required, all image-related fields are strongly recommended. About You recommends images with a 4:3 aspect ratio, and a main product image with a light background. What’s more, you must add the background color for every non-model image . E.g.: weiß, transparent, grau. In general, About You recommends adding the following attributes for every asset:
- image_background - background color of the image. Strong color variations are not allowed.
- image_kind - type of image. The options are: Bust image, Model Image, Model-Outfit Image, and Detail image.
- image_1st_view - assign this attribute to only one bust image and one model image. It marks the image to be displayed first on the category and product detail page. It must include information on whether the image is a bust or model image. E.g.: 1st bust image, 1st model image.
All products (required)
- [country] export enabled - specifies if the product should be sold in this country. You may be able to sell certain brands in some countries, but not in others. If you select No, the product is not shown in this country.
- [country] recommended retail price - the product's base sale price for each specific country.
- [country] reduction - if you want to apply a discount to a product, enter a percentage as an integer. E.g.: 10 for 10%, 10.257 for 10.257%.
- [country] VAT rate - the VAT rate for this product type in this country.
- Price before (re)price rules - the default price to which price rules are applied.
You cannot set up default carriers under the Carrier mappings tab, as About You requires merchants to set up default carriers directly with them during the onboarding process. Any change of carriers has to be done directly with About You.
The following carriers are supported:
- DHL WORLD Premium
- Die Post
- Export C
- Poste Italiane
You can add price rules for example to adjust your shipment rates. If you want to add discounts, you must use the attributes in the offer mapping section. For example, to set a discount on the regular price, you must enter values for the following fields:
- Recommended retail price = 19.99
- Reduction = 10
- VAT Rate = 19
ChannelEngine receives no data validations from About You. Therefore, it may happen that the product is not published – or that when product data is incomplete, About You fills out the product data. For all data ChannelEngine sends to About You (product content, stock updates, shipments, etc.), ChannelEngine receives a response stating whether the API accepts the data (or not). For specific processing feedback, you must contact About You.
It is possible that the Exported price on the Listed products page does not match the price that was exported. This is caused by, for example:
- A different price per sales channel being exported.
- ChannelEngine is not using the default Product price as the exported price.
- The offer export always tries to 'set' (and thus override) the Exported price, while it does not have price information.
How can I delete products on About You?
About You does not allow for the deletion of products. If the product is sold out, it must remain in the product selection with stock set to zero. If a product is on stock zero it is taken offline from About You. After a month or so, About You takes care of the soft deletion.
How often does each task run on About You?
Tasks run according to the following schedule on About You:
Export product data to channel
Every 60 minutes
Export product offers to channel
Every 5 minutes
Export product offers to channel (full)*
Once a day (between 22:00 and 6:00)
Export returns to channel
Every 30 minutes
Export order shipments to channel
Every 15 minutes
* ChannelEngine exports the stock of all products in the product selection once a day to correct any stock that may not have been synchronized properly.