Fnac: marketplace guide
About this guide
This is a ChannelEngine guide on the Ivry-sur-Seine-based marketplace Fnac. Here you can find information on how to request a Fnac account, how to configure this channel on ChannelEngine, what the specific requirements are, and more.
Table of contents
|Founders||André Essel and Max Théret|
|Area served (orders)||Belgium, France, Italy, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland|
|Revenue||circa EUR 7.5 million (2020)|
|Number of monthly visits||circa 30 million|
|Commission||depends on the product category (6-16%)|
|Other costs||EUR 39.90/month|
|Payment||every five days|
|Product categories||electronics, games, media, books, home, garden, and more|
|Input language||mainly French, but it varies per country|
|Content creation||yes, but only for Fnac France via the API|
|Profile on ChannelEngine||Fnac|
To start selling on Fnac, you must create an account. If you plan to sell on multiple Fnac sites, you need a separate account for each site. E.g.: if you intend to sell on both Fnac France and Fnac Spain, you need an account for fnac.com and an account for fnac.es.
The following list describes the specifics for each country:
- Fnac France - fnac.com provides a Mirakl API to create your catalogue. During the setup of Fnac France, when asked about the type of integration solution you use, select API/Webservices. Request a Fnac France account to start selling.
- Fnac Spain - fnac.es requires you to use an Excel file to create your products. ChannelEngine recommends you to contact your account manager for the country-specific process. Request a Fnac Spain account to start selling.
- Fnac Belgium - fnac.be requires you to use Excel file to create your products. ChannelEngine recommends you to contact your account manager for the country-specific process. Request a Fnac Belgium account to start selling.
- Fnac Portugal - fnac.pt requires you to use Excel file to create your products. ChannelEngine recommends you to contact your account manager for the country-specific process. Request a Fnac Portugal account to start selling.
Creating an account is free, but there is a monthly fee of EUR 39.99 (excl VAT) if there are sales. Additionally, Fnac charges an extra commission for products sold. The commission percentage varies depending on the type of product. (6-16%).
|Product content (Fnac France)||External fulfillment|
|Shipments (including carrier mapping)||Full returns|
|Product variations (sizes/colors)|
Setting up each channel on ChannelEngine follows the same flow, once you add the channel:
- Go through the Setup
- Create a Product selection
- Complete the Categorization
- Set up the Mappings: content, offers, and carriers
- Configure the Pricing: rules and currency conversion
- Finish the Activation
- Check the Listed products overview
Fnac uses a hybrid model for its marketplace, with the Mirakl platform handling content and a custom system handling offers. Therefore, setting up Fnac is not exactly like setting up other Mirakl-based channels.
When it comes to authorizing the connection between Fnac and ChannelEngine, the process is the same as for other Mirakl-based channels, using a Mirakl Connect SSO account. For more information on this, check out the Mirakl-based channels: SSO authorization article.
As Fnac does not support repricing, you can leave the Mirakl seller name field empty.
The following Fnac credentials must be added to ChannelEngine too, under the Setup section:
- Fnac shop ID - provided to you by your account manager at Fnac. The Fnac shop ID is formatted as shown below.
UID A1A1A1A1-A1A1-A1A1-A1A1-A1A1A1A1A1A1 unique shop identification id
- Is qualified seller? - if you are a qualified seller (i.e.: allowed to create or update content), enable this setting. If you are not, you cannot use the mappings.
- Relais Colis client ID - if you use Relais Colis as your shipment method, fill out your client ID. If you use a different carrier (e.g.: PostNL, DPD, GLS, DHL, Fedex, etc.), you can leave this field empty.
Categorization is only needed on Fnac if you want to create new products or update existing product information. The categorization is straightforward, and it uses attribute names in French.
To see all possible Fnac categories, select Browse in the lower left-hand corner of the Categorization tab.
All products (required)
- Constructeur vendeur (Vendor manufacturer) - the name of the product's brand or manufacturer.
- EAN - the product's 13-digit EAN or other GTIN.
- Libellé - the product's name.
- SKU - the product's internal variant identifier. Usually your Merchant product number on ChannelEngine. E.g.: ABC123-Yellow-Medium.
- Visuel principal - the main product image.
All products (optional)
The optional attributes are all related to additional product images, with support to up to four product images in total.
Some required attributes are visible in the mappings of individual product types. These additional required and optional attributes, such as Description complémentaire (the product's description), are mappable here. This is also where you can set attributes like color, size, material, and the target audience.
The only mandatory offer mappings are Price, which is your desired sale price, and Product state, which is the condition of the product. The options for Product state are:
- Collection product as new
- Collection product in correct state
- Collection product in good state
- Collection product in very good state
- Product is new
- Product is refurbished
- Used product in correct state
- Used product as new
- Used product in good state
- Used product in very good state
- Order preparation time - the number of days it takes you to ship the product, once ordered. The maximum value is 25 days.
- Overwrite logistic type - merchants can set their shipping costs policy directly in the Fnac back-end, under My account > My seller settings > My shipping details. There you can find a table showing the product categories associated with each logistic type – as seen in the screenshot below. Different shipping costs can be set per logistic type.
- Adherent price - the discounted price for adherent customers, that is, customers who pay a fee to enjoy benefits such as faster deliveries, better warranties, etc.
Carrier mapping is mandatory on Fnac. If your preferred carrier is not on their approved list, map it to Other to have your shipment information submitted correctly.
If your default currency is not EUR, you can use a currency conversion to convert prices to Euro.
It is possible to use price rules for your products, repricing is not possible for Fnac.
Why are the mappings blank?
If you are not a qualified seller or did not enable this setting under the Setup tab, some features are not available. This includes the creation and mapping of content.
I cannot create content for other Fnac countries. Why?
Fnac only supports content creation on its French marketplace. All other Fnac channels only allow an offer export connecting to existing content, and therefore these channels do not have tabs for categorization or content mapping.
Why am I getting an authorization error when trying to activate the channel?
Make sure to enter the correct shop ID for the correct country. These are different for each individual Fnac country. You can also double-check if Fnac has created the required access for ChannelEngine, which can be seen in the credentials you received from Fnac and in the Nom du Partenaire section.
If you are sure that the credentials are correct, please contact Fnac as the authorization error comes directly from them.
Why does my order have a firstname.lastname@example.org email address?
For information on that, check out the article ChannelEngine: why does my order have a email@example.com email address?.