Wayfair: marketplace guide
About this guide
This is a ChannelEngine guide on the Boston-based marketplace Wayfair. Here you can find information on how to request a Wayfair account, how to configure this channel on ChannelEngine, what the specific requirements are, and more.
Table of contents
|Founder||Niraj Shah and Steve Conine|
|Headquarters||Boston, Massachusetts, United States|
|Area served (orders)||Canada, Germany, United Kingdom, United States|
|Revenue||USD 14.145 billion (2020)|
|Number of active customers||31.19 million (2020)|
|Commission||Wayfair does not take a percentage of their partners' sales|
|Payment||Wayfair pays their partners the wholesale cost of their items, and set their own retail prices|
|Product categories||furniture, decoration, housewares, garden, and other home goods|
|Input currency||depends on the country|
|Profile on ChannelEngine||Wayfair|
To request a Wayfair supplier account, go to Partner with Wayfair. Fill in and submit all the required information. Note that Wayfair relies on dropship suppliers. If you plan to sell on Wayfair, you must look into their dropship business model – Wayfair does not offer their own logistic fulfillment service, unlike Amazon and bol.com.
When it comes to costs and payments, Wayfair is not like most other marketplaces. Instead of using a commission system, Wayfair pays their partners upfront for their products, setting their own retail prices on their website.
For more information on Wayfair's business model check out Sell on Wayfair.
|Product offers||Product content|
|Carrier mapping (if enabled)||Returns|
|Content and offer mappings|
Wayfair does not support any automated content connection, so you need to manually submit a content file within the Wayfair back-end to create products. There are no advanced order actions either, such as returns or cancelations. These have to be handled either manually or through Wayfair's customer service.
Setting up each channel on ChannelEngine follows the same flow, once you add the channel:
- Go through the Setup
- Create a Product selection
- Complete the Categorization (Wayfair has no categorization)
- Set up the Mappings: content, offers, and carriers (Wayfair has no content or offer mappings)
- Configure the Pricing: rules and currency conversion
- Finish the Activation
- Check the Listed products overview
The following information must be added to ChannelEngine under the Setup section:
- FTP host - by default, the FTP host is set to ftp://edi.wayfair.com/. This is corrected to http://partnerftp.channelengine.net/ by your Onboarding or Customer Success Specialist at ChannelEngine.
- FTP username - the name of the FTP folder created by your Onboarding or Customer Success Specialist at ChannelEngine. E.g.: CompanyName_wayfair_ftp.
- FTP password - the password to the FTP server, provided by your Onboarding or Customer Success Specialist at ChannelEngine.
- Supplier ID - your Wayfair supplier ID.
- Send using Wayfair's carrier account - enable this option if you want to use Wayfair's selected carrier. If you have your own logistical partner, leave this option disabled and use the carrier mapping to set your own carrier.
If you want to use your own carriers to ship Wayfair orders, you need to set up carrier mapping. Make sure that Send using Wayfair's carrier account is not enabled. This is mandatory, as Wayfair only accepts their specific carrier codes.
For an overview of Wayfair's carrier codes, check out the list below:
|Carrier name||Carrier code on ChannelEngine|
|DHL Freight Deutschland||DFDE|
|DHL Freight Network||DFFN|
|DHL Home Delivery GmbH||DHWG|
|DHL Paket Deutschland||DHDE|
|DHL Paket UK||DHUK|
|DHL Parcel UK||UKML|
|DX Freight - 1 Man||NIDW|
|GEL Express Logistik GmbH||GEL1|
|GLS - UK||GLUK|
|GLS - DE||GLDE|
|Hermes Einrichtungs Service||HRMS|
|IDS Logistik GmbH||IDS|
|LGT Logistics A/S||LGTL|
|Network 4 - 2 man||NWUK|
|Rhenus Home Delivery||RSHD|
|Rhenus Poland [FN]||RHPLFN|
|Supplier shipping in own trucks||SSOA|
|SUUS Logistics SA||SUUS|
|UPS - DE||UPDE|
|UPS - UK||UPUK|
If your carrier is not listed above, such as PostNL and bpost, you can use SSOA as the carrier method.
Next to the mandatory settings displayed in the Activation overview, Wayfair also requires you to fill in your invoice settings. In order to ship items at Wayfair, an invoice must be included in the export.