Conrad: marketplace guide
About this guide
This is a ChannelEngine guide on the Berlin-based marketplace Conrad. Here you can find information on how to request a Conrad account, how to configure this channel on ChannelEngine, what the specific requirements are, and more.
Table of contents
|Area served (orders)||Austria, Belgium, Germany, Netherlands|
|Revenue||USD 1.05 billion (2019)|
|Number of monthly visits||circa 6 million|
|Commission||percentage based on product category|
|Other costs||monthly fee|
|Payment||thrice/month (5th, 15th, and 25th)|
|Profile on ChannelEngine||Conrad|
To start selling on Conrad, fill in the appropriate Sell on the Conrad Marketplace contact form:
- German sellers: fill in the Verkaufen Sie auf dem Conrad Marketplace contact form. A German tax number, commercial register extract, legal representing ID document, and bank account statement are required. Further details are provided during the onboarding process by the Conrad business developer.
- Dutch sellers: fill in the Verkoper worden contact form. Only companies with a warehouse location in the Netherlands and a Dutch VAT number can sell their products on the Conrad Marketplace.
After you filled in the form, a Conrad business developer contacts you and guides you through the next steps.
|Product offers (based on the SKU)||Returns (channel)|
(limited HTML formatting in description is supported)
|Orders (no split orders)||Repricing|
|Cancelations (merchant)||Automatic relationships|
|Shipments (including carrier mapping)|
|Product variations (sizes/colors)|
Setting up each channel on ChannelEngine follows the same flow, once you add the channel:
- Go through the Setup
- Create a Product selection
- Complete the Categorization
- Set up the Mappings: content, offers, and carriers
- Configure the Pricing: rules and currency conversion
- Finish the Activation
- Check the Listed products overview
Conrad has specific requirements for sellers such as: German sales tax identification number, logistics in Germany, and shipping of individual orders.
Conrad also has some strict rules concerning products. Sellers are not allowed offering products that have a Freiwillige Selbstkontrolle der Filmwirtschaft (FSK), Germany's Self-Regulatory Body of the Movie Industry, rating above 18 – or content that glorifies violence or war. Also, products subject to the battery deposit law cannot be offered on Conrad.
Conrad is a Mirakl-based channel, so you can connect it to ChannelEngine using a Mirakl Connect SSO account. For more information on this, check out the Mirakl-based channels: SSO authorization article.
You can leave the Mirakl seller name field empty, as Conrad does not support repricing.
To configure your invoice settings, click Advanced settings. You can then click the dropdown menu Enable invoice uploading, which contains the following options:
- ChannelEngine invoices - when ChannelEngine receives a shipment, it automatically generates an invoice and attaches it to the shipment.
- Merchant invoices (optional) - when ChannelEngine receives a shipment, it exports it – even if there is no invoice attached to it.
- Merchant invoices (required) - when ChannelEngine receives a shipment, it only exports it if an invoice is attached to it. If not, you receive a notification.
- None - when ChannelEngine receives a shipment, it takes no action other than notifying you that no invoice is present.
Categorization is mandatory if you want to create or update existing product information on Conrad. Both categorizations and mappings only result in updates if the content connection is enabled, and the relevant credentials have been entered (see the Setup section). The categorization is straightforward, and it uses attribute names in German.
- Brand name - the brand of the article. This attribute is, in fact, optional. If a value is not entered, No name is used. If one of your brands is missing, please contact Conrad.
- Content units - the correct unit of measurement.
- Content units per selling unit - what is inside the sold item? It can be 1 piece, 2 pieces, 100 pieces, etc. It is important that this is correctly mapped, using a numeric value with a precision of up to 4 decimal points (e.g.: 0.0001). The 'Content units' mapping is used to set the correct unit of measurement
- Manufacturer article ID - the unique manufacturing part number (MPN). MPNs are crucial when it comes to online product findability. Brands, that is, items not classified as No name products, require an MPN.
- Product title - a unique description of the product in German, with all relevant and distinguishing features. The product name must have at least 20 characters, and a maximum length of 120 characters. It is advised to use a maximum of 70 characters. Unique selling points can be entered in English.
- Product ID - the unique number of the item in the seller's system. This ID or SKU is used as reference for the offers, and requires a length between 1 and 40 characters.
- Selling unit of measure - the way the product is sold: 1 piece, 1 pair (i.e.: 2 pieces that belong together), 1 pack (i.e.: 3 or more of the same item), 1 set (multiple items), 1 meter (if buyable in variable lengths), etc.
- VAT rate - the VAT classification of the product: normal tax, reduced tax (e.g.: books), no tax, or reverse charge.
The following attributes are marked as optional, but mapping them is highly recommended:
- Artikelzustand - the condition of the article. E.g.: new, used, refurbished, etc.
- Commercial text - the description of the product. There is no length restriction, and limited HTML is supported (p, ul, b, li, em, br). Although optional, it is recommended that you map this attribute.
- Images - URL of the product image. Images must have a height or length of at least 400 px, and the format must be PNG, JPG, TIF, or GIF. Note that product images are required, even though they are marked as optional.
Conrad does not have any required product type-specific attributes, however they do have many optional attributes that are both product type-specific and generic attributes. This is because Conrad specializes in electronics, and each type of product can have multiple possible attributes (e.g.: number of connections, number of ports, types of sockets, power requirements, etc.).
The only mandatory offer mappings are Price, which is your desired sale price, and Reverse charge, which should be set to No unless your finance department advises you otherwise.
Attributes such as Leadtime to shipment (the number of days before you ship the item), Logistic class (your optional shipping class), and Minimum quantity alert (so you receive a notification if the stock drops below a certain threshold) are common for Mirakl mappings.
Working with discounts
- Do not leave the Discount end date attribute unmapped. If you want to set a permanent discount, use a date in the far future instead. Otherwise the offer is not exported, and errors are shown under the Validation and feedback tab.
- If your discounted price is not lower than the base price, it is not exported.
- If you do not want to set a bulk discount, leave the Discount quantity threshold attribute unmapped – otherwise the export is broken.
- If you do want to set a bulk discount, the Discount quantity threshold must be set to a value higher than 1. E.g.: a value of 2 indicates that two or more of the product must be purchased at the same time for the buyer to benefit from the discount.
Carrier mapping is not required on Conrad. However, you can map your carrier to a specific list of carriers maintained by Conrad. This allows for working track-and-trace links in the back-end, as well as for the buyer. If your default carrier is missing, please contact Conrad.
If you have problems with products not appearing on Conrad (especially if you are trying to create products that do not exist yet), check the Listed products section for more information.
You can either filter on Channel status (Invalid for all products that ChannelEngine has not exported, such as products with an empty EAN or products that currently do not exist on Conrad) or use the Validation and feedback tab to see all known validation/feedback errors for specific products. Also, as Conrad uses the Mirakl marketplace framework, you can see detailed status reports in their back-end. These reports contain specific errors if a product or product offer cannot be created.
How do I know what optional fields should be mapped?
In the ConradB2B Mirakl portal, select My inventory > Import from file. In the panel on the right-hand side, select either the CSV or XLSX template. Select a file template to download, and then select the requirement level of attributes. Finally, select the categories. The resulting file shows you an overview of the required, recommended, and optional fields for the selected product category.
I have created new products on Conrad, but they are not yet visible. What happened?
Conrad is quite strict when it comes to the quality of product information, a manual content is performed. Therefore, it can take some time before new content is accepted and offers are created.
What does reverse-charging VAT mean?
Reverse charge is a mechanism where the recipient of the goods is liable to pay VAT, instead of the supplier. Make sure to consult your accountant or finance department to find out if reverse charging applies to your business.
How should I set up my product title?
The product title is a clear description of the product, with all relevant and distinguishing features. The product title is also very relevant to find the product through the internal search engine. Product titles should be set up in the following way: item name, brand, Merchant product number, type, and any other product features (sorted by importance). It is recommended to compare your product with existing products in the same category, and apply the same style.
Try to avoid content duplication and the use of unnecessary capital letters, which leads to downgrades. Enter MPNs and types according to industry practices. To include features in the product title, spaces are used as separators.
E.g.: Apple iPhone 8 Refurbished (sehr gut) 64 GB 4.7 Zoll (11.9 cm) iOS 11 12 Megapixel Red.