ChannelEngine: how often are tasks performed?
About this article
This article describes common tasks handled by ChannelEngine, and how often they are executed.
Table of contents
Every action performed by ChannelEngine to and from external sources, such as marketplaces and your own webshop, is done in the form of tasks. These tasks can be related to many processes, from importing a product feed to exporting shipments to a marketplace.
The tasks are scheduled based on a specific frequency, similar to how cronjobs work. This frequency varies according to the type of task, as well as certain custom preferences. Below is a generic overview on how often specific tasks are performed. Note that the names are based on ChannelEngine's perspective: Merchant, Import product info, ChannelEngine, Export data, Channel.
List of tasks and their frequencies
|Type of task||Frequency||Further details|
|Import product data (content)||once every hour|
|Import product offers (stock/prices)||once every 15 minutes|
|Import shipments||once every hour|
|Import returns||once every hour||if applicable|
|Import cancelations||once every hour||if applicable|
|Export orders||once every 15 minutes|
|Export returns||once every hour||if applicable|
|Export product offers||once every 15 minutes||creates an offer on existing content|
|Export product data||once every hour or once every day||depends on the channel|
|Import product offers (status)||once every hour||this task gets the product status of a channel|
|Import orders||once every 15 minutes|
|Export shipments||once every 30 minutes|
|Import cancelations||once every 15 minutes or once every hour||if applicable|
|Export cancelations/refunds||once every hour|
|Export returns||once every hour|
Please note that:
- This overview excludes tasks that are performed through ChannelEngine's Merchant and Channel APIs. In those cases, the merchant or channel performs API calls based on the frequency set by themselves. However, it is recommended to use a similar schedule to prevent unnecessary loads on ChannelEngine's API.
- Tasks are scheduled on random starting minutes to prevent all tasks from being scheduled at the exact same time (e.g.: 10:05). So on channel A the order import can start at 4, 19, 34, and 49 minutes past the hour, while for channel B it can be 11, 26, 41, and 56 minutes past the hour.
Scheduled tasks view
To see the latest 25 scheduled tasks, their status, and their start and finish dates, go to Settings, Scheduled tasks. The statuses for tasks can be:
- Pending - the task is in the queue, but it is going to be picked up soon. If you refresh the page, you are likely to see this status changing to In progress or Completed.
- Completed - the task has been executed.
- In progress - the task is being executed, but has not been completed yet.
- Failed - an error occurred during the execution of the task. Note that this could be a one-time hiccup, and does not necessarily mean the task did not process any products, offers, or orders. Check the Listed products section for further details. If the task fails multiple times, reach out to ChannelEngine's Support team.